Friday, April 13, 2007

Toys! Toys! Toys!

Toys! That takes on a life of its' own. They clutter the bedroom. They overtake my living room floor. They thrive in the closets and in the garage. They are everywhere! Just how does one come to accumulate so many toys? Toys with annoying sounds, toys with flashing lights, toys that could probably cook and clean if I wanted them to. They tend to move in unexpectedly and stay long after they are welcome. I'm surprised they haven't started a toy democracy with a toy president and toy cities.

My war on toys has begun! Everything that was overflowing out of the bins has a designated space in my May garage sale. No longer are the toys going to continue to dominate my living space...that is for the garage.

My solution to this problem: 2 medium size bins. That is the limit for toys now. One bin is designated for crappy plastic toys (that will be making their way out sooner than later) and another for awesome, wonderful wooden, cloth or metal toys. The plastic toy bin is located in my sons room (where he only goes to sleep). The wooden toy bin is located in the living room (where he is ALWAYS playing). This makes it easier to rid my home of the useless plastic toys. I do, however, have an exception for plastic toys: they have to be educational (like the leappad).


My son has started to play more with the wooden toys than the plastic toys. He has decided that he wants some new wooden blocks and some wooden cars :) I think he may be getting some fabulous wooden toys for his upcoming birthday (like a train table and tain set).

1 comment:

The Chatty Housewife said...

I agree that kids have too many junky toys these days. They like them for a day and then move onto something else.

I want to go back to the Little House on the Prairie life where a rag doll, scraps of fabric and nature kept a girl happy for her entire childhood.